Thursday, October 15, 2009

Refelction on our Micro-Teaching "Arithmatic Sequences"

Reflection on our microteaching “arithmetic sequences”


The evaluation sheet that everyone filled out after me, Jenny, and Candice finished our micro-teaching taught me a lot of valuable lessons. Our micro-teaching had both many strengths and weaknesses that I would like to share.

Most people were happy about our lesson plan. They said that it was really clear and well prepared. We also got great comments about the worksheet that we provided our students with. Our worksheet basically got most of our students engaged with the key ideas that we were putting on the board and helped them to develop a better understanding of “arithmetic sequences”. Also, if someone had a difficulty seeing the board, they could at least rely on the worksheet.

In contrast, our microteaching had some weaknesses that I, as a student teacher must focus on more. One of the problems that I even noticed myself when I finished, was that I only looked at half of my students and left the other side of the class with no eye contact. It was really interesting that I found the same problem with other teacher candidates while they were teaching and as one of their students, I felt not really happy about it. Thus, I must make sure to have my eye contact with everybody in my class so that no one feels left out. Another concern was about our writings. I totally admit that what we put on the board was a little messy. Some people asked for some visual explications which was a little difficult for us to push with the subject that we were teaching. However, as teacher candidates we must make sure to provide our students with different methods and ways that help our students learn better.

In summery, I learned many precious lessons from this microteaching and I must make sure that next time to make a better eye contact with my students. Also, I must keep in mind that writing messy on the board is not going to help my students learn math better. In addition to that, I should be aware of the fact that providing my students with different methods of learning is a crucial part of the teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment